Gavvalu (shells) is famous in Andhra Pradesh. Gavvalu can be hot or sweet depending on the ingredients used.
What do you need?
- 1 cup Maida
- 1 tsp Red chile powder
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
How to prepare?
- Add the ghee to the maida. Mix all ingredients into smooth dough adding enough water.
- Make sure the dough is soft but not sticky. Keep it aside for a half an hour.
- Make small marble size balls with the dough.
- Now take gavvala chekka (or a fork or a new comb) and apply some oil to it so that the dough doesnt stick on to it.
- Take one ball and place it on Gavvala chekka and press it downwards.The shape of shell will come.
- Repeat the process with rest of the balls.
- Now heat oil in a pan and deep fry the shells until golden brown. Remove and drain them on a kitchen paper.
- Store tight and serve karam gavvalu as a snack.