Gavvalu is one of the typical sweets made in Andhra Pradesh. You need a special appliance gavvala chekka or gavvala chekka (a kind of wooden thing with flat ridges) to make them.
- 1/2 Kg Maida
- 4 tsp Ghee
- Jaggery or sugar as required
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Oil for frying
Process to make sweet Gavvalu:
- Add the ghee to the maida. Mix well with warm water to make dough (like poori dough).
- Make small marble size balls with the dough.
- Now take gavvala chekka (or a fork or a new comb) and apply some oil to it so that the dough doesnt stick on to it.
- Take one ball and place it on Gavvala chekka and press it downwards.The shape of shell will come.
- Repeat the process with rest of the balls.
- Now heat oil in a pan and deep fry the shells until golden brown. Remove and drain them on a kitchen paper.
- Take a heavy bottomed vessel, add the jaggery and water and let it melt. Cook till the syrup becomes thick.
- To check the correct syrup consistency, drop some syrup into a bowl of water and if turns into a soft ball, its the right time to turn off heat.
- Add cardamom powder to it and add the shells to the syrup.
- Leave them in sugar syrup bowl until they will become cool.
- Now the Gavvalu are ready to eat.